Thursday, March 1, 2012

Confessions of a Twitter Skeptic

Widder, Oliver. (Cartoonist). (2008).
The Web 2.0 Slogan of the Month - May [Cartoon].
Retrieved February 24, 2012, from:
http://geekandpoke.typepad.com
/geekandpoke/2008/05/the-web-20-slog.html 
I'll admit it.  When I first heard about Twitter a few years ago, I didn't like it.  To me it was unnecessary - wasn't Facebook good enough?  And who would care about trivial things that happened in my daily life?  True, chances are that no one cares about my thoughts on glycolytic enzymes.  However, I was unaware that Twitter had much more to offer than insignificant tidbits of people's lives.

My first time on Twitter was unpleasant.  Everything was a mess.  There were @ and # symbols everywhere, and tweets were often grammatically chaotic.  I preferred Facebook's extremely organized layout.  But at the same time, I was curious to find out why people were so crazy about this emerging social media site.

Giacomazzi, Dino. (Farmer). (2009).
Dino Giacomazzi [Photograph].
Retrieved March 1, 2012, from:
http://www.cafwd.org/thinkers/
entry/dino-giacomazzi 
It didn't take long before ALES 204 changed my cynical view of Twitter.  In class, we discussed Twitter in the professional context, especially with relation to agricultural, life and environmental sciences.  I learned that there are numerous scientists, farmers, and nutritionists tweeting about latest findings or current trends in their respective fields.  I discovered that Twitter can be a useful tool in spreading scientific messages and following meaningful content.  For example, dairy farmer Dino Giacomazzi has a Twitter account (@dairydino) that gives us a glimpse into his farm life.  When interviewed in this article, he said: “We invite people onto our farms through the Internet.  We let people see exactly what it is that we do.”  I find it fascinating how Twitter enables people to share and promote their passion with others, world wide.  My classmate Lina conducted a very interesting investigation of the role of Twitter and other social media outlets in campus sustainability!

In ALES 204 we also discussed how Twitter forces you to be concise with its 140-character limit.  I love to digress, but Twitter prevents me from elaborating into irrelevant territory (to the relief of my followers).  Tweeting made me realize that I tend to use unnecessary words that complicate my message.  Experienced "tweeps" construct extremely concise tweets packed with meaning.

Ploof, Lindsey. (Student). (2012). Game On [Photograph].
Retrieved March 1, 2012, from:
https://twitter.com/#!/ploofster/status/165536884158763008
In addition, I also learned about the value of hashtags, a way to classify tweets.  An example of my personal experience with hashtags was during the U of A's Break the Record dodgeball game.  Participants tweeted before, during and after the game about participant turnout, team scores, and other exciting material including pictures.  Unfortunately, I was unable to attend, but it was amazing how absent people could still experience the action.  Contrarily, a social networking site like Facebook limits you only to what your Facebook friends are up to.  I probably had at most three Facebook friends who attended Break the Record.  Only one friend posted about the game.  On Twitter, I searched for hashtags like #ualberta, #breaktherecord, and #dodgeball, which gave me a plethora of updates from the dodgeball game.  Twitter is powerful because it allows people with common interests to form a gigantic network, greatly enhancing the sharing of ideas.  It enables you to connect with acquaintances or strangers who share similar passions, without digging into their personal lives.

I'm still a Twitter newbie learning to construct critically literate tweets that demonstrate my engagement with class material.  I will continue to use Twitter throughout my academic and professional careers as I now believe that this social networking site has enormous potential.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Brenda, I can sympathize with you on your initial doubt about Twitter. A few of my friends started regularly using Twitter to keep in touch with their daily lives last summer, and I honestly laughed when I read some of the things they had posted, because they seemed so trivial and pointless. The comic you posted couldn't be more true - "When you have nothing to say, say it on Twitter." However I suppose that's the beauty of Twitter! Whether you have something funny, important, serious, sad, or informational to post, your list of "followers" are always willing to read your 140-character opinion. The "retweet" feature also acts as a guide to let you know if people enjoy reading your tweets.

    I'm currently living in Kelsey Hall, so I immediately noticed that the majority of dodgeball hype came from current and former Lister Residents. My Twitter and Facebook newsfeeds were definitely blowing up with instant updates on the day of the Break The Record game, and everyone was posting pictures on Twitter to show their followers back home how packed the Pavillion was! Twitter was definitely a great tool to connect all students at the UofA for information leading up to Break The Record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linsay, thanks for your thoughtful comment. You have some great insight about Twitter! I never realized that pointless tweets can also be part of the beauty of Twitter. Sometimes we have something nagging in our minds that we want to share with others, but it may be too trivial to post on Facebook. I suppose Twitter is the perfect outlet for such thoughts!

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post about Twitter. I too was very sceptical of the idea of it before I had truly grasped its implications towards the science, as well as global, community! Now that I learned that Twitter is not just another social media tool, like Facebook, I can appreciate how useful it would be in a professional career. I can also understand how this would allow people everywhere to stay connected to each other through their similar interests, allowing insight into a different perspective than their own which might not have been realized otherwise. Twitter is one of a kind, which makes it stick out and exceed expectations since this social media tool is unlike any other.

    -Danielle Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a completely Twitter newbie ! You know what, in China, we can't log in Facebook, Twitter and Blogger because of some policy rules(I don't know them in detail~). When I came Alberta in 2010, I just started to know how to have a Facebook account, how to chat and how to add others as friends. Everything is in English, I need to know not only Facebook but English. Also, those symbols and shortening are very strange for me. At first, I don't why someone can type a yellow smelling face, finally I was told that it was ":)". Haha, it happened so many fun things like that...
    I began to learn Twitter when I had ALES 204. At the beginning, I even don't know how to spell "Twitter", I always spell it like "Tiwterr" or "tiwteer" since I just remember there is a letter is written twice.
    Overall, I still have too much new things to know, and to me, I think ALES 204 is helpful for my English learning, and you are always very patient to hear my Chinese English. Thank you ~ <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good post about twitter!! I agree I was very sceptic and in the dark about Twitter. I too had always used Facebook and really enjoyed it. I had heard lots about Twitter but never found the need to join. Then came along the ALES204 class and it sure has been an eye opener to how much can really be done on Twitter and how great it is for yourself or a business. Twitter has allowed me to follow businesses that I frequently shop at and it gives be and idea of new products, updates and sales!! Twitter I have found has also been great for learning about local up-coming events!! What can I say I am now a Twitter addict!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Brenda,
    I must admit I too completely brushed away the importance of twitter, thinking it was just another means to blabber on about insignificant issues. After Ales204 my views have changed

    ReplyDelete